CONNECT is a monthly group for adults (18+) with high functioning autism who are seeking a safe social outlet. Under the supervision of a trained professional, participants with have the opportunity to interact with peers in order to fine tune their communication skills and build the self-confidence needed to develop successful relationships in various aspects of daily living. The group will begin by meeting on location at CrossPoint; once participants feel comfortable, meetings may be held in various locations in the community (e.g., grocery store, mall, bowling alley).
· To practice greetings others and doing so until it is a routine behavior
· To develop self-confidence by learning more about ASD and how it can be used as a strength
· To practice initiating, maintaining and ending conversations
· To practice social skills in a variety of settings with familiar and unfamiliar individuals
For the community:
· Individuals with HFA have many positive attributes that can contribute to society. However, without the self-confidence and skills needed to successfully and comfortably interact with others, these attributes often go unnoticed. As Connect participants practice appropriately interacting with others and gain the courage necessary to venture into the community, the community will gain greater access to neurodiversity.